Saturday, July 26, 2014

Souvenirs

Today I thought I would share with you today all of the food-related souvenirs I brought home from my trip. I came to the realization that most of the souvenirs I brought home were food-related, but that suits me just fine. 
Pictured here, in sort of a clockwise order are:
a gift bag, a cupcake change keeper (with key), shotglasses, dark chocolate, chocolate truffles, candies, tea cup and saucer, cookies, chocolates, bread, waffle cookies, custom-made chocolate bar (I designed it), apfelschorle, milk chocolate, printen cookies, cookie cutter, chocolate magnets, and on the bottom of everything, an apron. Not pictured here are an oven mitt and potholder and coasters that I brought home as well. Now I will explain a little about some of the items.

The cupcake ornament, chocolate truffles, and waffle cookies are all from one amazing café, where I was basically treated to as much as I wanted. These are the items that were save-able for me to take home (unlike the cake and ice cream I ate). The bag is also from this café, which I think was thrown in free since we bought so much there. The truffles are among the very best I have ever had - so creamy and tasty. I will definitely have at least a few more posts about this café later on.

The tin of printen cookies was from a printen factory we visited. They give tours of the facility, and even though the tours normally have to be booked in advance, they were nice enough to give us one - and in English too! Printen are a type of Lebkuchen cookie specific to a certain area. They are most popular at Christmas time, but sold all year round.

The custom made chocolate bar was one I designed at a chocolate museum, which is also where yesterdays best chocolate cake of my life came from. All you had to do was choose between milk, white, or dark chocolate, choose up to four of over twenty possible toppings (fruit, nuts, candy, etc.), pay, and wait a half hour. You could even watch it being made. More on this museum later.

The shotglasses, teacup, and oven mitts were gifts for my father, aunt, and mother, respectively. My father has quite an extensive shotglass collection - one from each place he (or his children) have traveled. My aunt asked me to bring her back such a gift, and my mother likes to cook and bake like me. 

The apfelschorle and bread are typical foods of the region, so of course I had to bring some home with me. And of course the chocolate is more chocolate I bought as gifts/souvenirs.

The apron is a gift I bought myself, and suits me perfectly, right down to the cute cat in the center. I seem to have inadvertently began a collection of aprons - not ones I wear, but ones I display as they are too pretty to get dirty. 

No comments: