Sunday, September 09, 2012

Creamy White Frosting

Here is a new frosting recipe I decided to try. I don't often use different types of icings or frostings, and when I do, I usually do not follow a recipe. However, as I was planning my father's birthday cake, I figured I might need a less stiff icing that could easily be spread over a delicate cake. I also only needed a little icing for piping, so I knew I could always whip up a little buttercream if I did indeed need something stiffer for the borders and pipings. I came across this recipe in the Company's Coming "Cakes" book I was looking through. It is a creamy white frosting described as similar in appearance, texture, and procedure to whipped cream. It requires a boiling on the stovetop and a whipping by hand, but it does make a nice icing that is creamy and tasty but not too sweet. It is good to cover delicate cakes or to use as a whipped cream substitute, but it is not so good for piping, it does have a slightly grainy appearance, and it doesn't taste as good as buttercream (in my opinion anyway).

Creamy White Frosting
1 cup milk
2 Tablespoons all-purpose (white) flour
1 cup butter or hard margarine, softened
1 cup granulated (white) sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a small saucepan, whisk the milk and flour together until smooth. Heat and stir until it boils and thickens. Cool thoroughly. In a large bowl, cream together the butter, sugar, and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add the thickened milk and beat in until mixture resembles whipped cream. Makes about 3 1/2 cups, enough to fill and frost a two layer cake.
Paré, Jean. "Creamy Frosting." Recipe. Cakes, Edmonton Alberta: Company's Coming Publishing Limited, 1990. 140.

No comments: