Saturday, September 08, 2012

Coca Cola Cake

My father asked for a Coca Cola themed cake for his birthday this year. Although he is not a huge Cocoa Cola drinker, he does have quite the collection of Coca Cola paraphernalia. I asked him well in advance to give me an exact picture or model of what he would like his cake to look like. He first asked me to make a model of a Coca Cola truck, but soon told me he was just joking about that, because it would be quite difficult to shape a cake like that. Next, he asked me for a Coca Cola cooler cake, but then decided against it. Coca Cola coolers are mostly red, and he did not want a cake with mostly red icing, nor did I want to make a cake like that because this is a lot of food coloring to consume. He could not find a good-looking Coca Cola cake design that was mostly a white background with red, so he left it up to me. The last I heard was, "Surprise me." I decided to stick with the Coca Cola theme, because I knew that was what he wanted. After finding a good recipe for a Coca Cola Chocolate Cake, I looked up ideas for a Coca Cola design that would be mostly white with some red trim. Here is what I decided on. 
I made two eight inch round layers of Coca Cola Chocolate Cake. I iced them completely with Creamy White Frosting, a change from my usual buttercream, because I figured this icing would be easier to spread on a delicate cake, and whiter in color than my signature buttercream icing (since I use real butter).  Then I used red icing. I added a top border of big and small balls, and a bottom border of simple stars. I wrote Happy Birthday Dad and then "Open Happiness" Coca Cola's slogan in America for 2012. I added a coke bottle shape on top, and on the side, the Coca Cola logo in my own font, which hopefully looks close to the handwriting on Coca Cola's logo. 
I did have some slight issues with this cake however. The whipped cream icing did spread very nicely over the cake, although the cake did not turn out to be as delicate as I had anticipated, so buttercream probably would have been fine anyway. I had just the right amount of icing left over to pipe on the cake, and because I hate to waste, I decided to use this instead of mixing up a little buttercream. Unfortunately, the addition of red food coloring to the icing did not seem to yield very good results. The icing still seemed stiff enough to pipe, but when I began to pipe it out of my pastry bag, the red food coloring did not seem to be completely mixed in with the icing, and some of it ran or bled. This would be a good technique to keep in mind for a Halloween zombie cake, but it did not look the greatest here. Oh well, I'll know for future reference not to use this icing for piping.

No comments: