Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Peperonata

My grandparents were recently here for a visit, and as usual, we did an exchange of home baked goods. Usually I make desserts and she makes more dishes for dinner, but I have made savory dishes and she makes sweets too. When travelling, the items you can bring are a bit restricted, but we manage. This time, I had some cookies for her, and made apple pie bars. She brought her usual tea biscuits (even cinnamon raisin ones this time) and waffles, as well as bean soup, coleslaw, tighe (a bean dish), and peperonata. These are all dishes she makes all the time, but we never tire of them because we love them. Usually she makes the same things, and I like to experiment and try a new recipe each time. Both of these methods work. My grandmother's recipes are tried and true ones she has been using for ages. The recipes I try can turn out to be new favorites, or it may just teach a good lesson.
Here is my grandmother's peperonata. It is similar to a ratatouille. It is a mixture of green pepper, eggplant, zucchini, and tomatoes in some sort of tomato sauce. It is cooked until very tender. It is a good vegetable dish for a side, or because it is so saucy, it is good to serve over chicken, steak, pork, or polenta. A piece of bread will soak any extra sauce at the end.

No comments: