Tuesday, June 04, 2013

Heavenly Chocolate Cake

Voilà! Here is my birthday cake for 2013! As I said yesterday, my only criteria was an angel food cake with chocolate and fruit. It is based on a simple, but delicious, angel food cake. I have actually never had angel food cake from scratch anyway, so I don't know if this is as good as  scratch cake, but I can say it is a lot better than a store-bought angel food cake. 
I actually wasn't expecting a filling in the middle, but when I sliced into it I found a dark chocolate icing. I know it is probably not easy to slice an angel food cake (or any cake for that matter) evenly in half horizontally, and I really appreciated the extra hidden chocolate treat! The icing all outside the cake is as light as the cake itself; and it has to be light to be able to spread it on such a delicate cake, which my mother did an excellent job of (props to her for even icing in around the center hole). This icing is actually made with fresh whipped cream and instant chocolate pudding mix - which took me a few minutes to place the taste, but it works really well. And the pudding really provides a nice chocolate flavor. So this icing is very light in texture and not too rich to clash with the light cake, but certainly delectable. Of course, the cake is garnished with fresh strawberries and cherries.

I really enjoyed this cake. I am usually vague on my criteria because to be honest, I never really know what kind of cake I want for myself. But I know that my parents will always come up with something delicious that will please me! When I asked my mother what she called this cake, she first responded with "heaven". (Actually, she first responded with "Angel Food Cake With Whipped Pudding Icing and Dark Chocolate Filling" but that title was a bit lengthy for a blog post). Then she dubbed it "Chocolate Heaven" because it is so light, and it is like eating a glad. I concur. This certainly is a heavenly chocolate cake! I couldn't have made it better myself.
Thank you Mom and Dad!

No comments: