Sunday, June 09, 2013

Cake #3 - Made By Me

Here is my third (and I'm pretty sure last) birthday cake. I made this one myself. I have absolutely no problem making my own birthday cake, in fact I quite enjoy it. I love to bake and decorate cakes anyway, and this way I can make exactly what I want, and if I mess up, I have no one to blame but myself. In fact, I did mess up slightly, but oh well. This is just a simple, one layer, eight inch chocolate cake recipe. Not my standard chocolate cake, but a fudgey one instead. I covered it in a chocolate cocoa ganache - much easier than frosting, shiny, and tasty too! Then I went a little border crazy. I did four borders, using two different shades of chocolate buttercream icing. The bottom has a dark shell border on the bottom and a light ruffle border on the top. The top has a dark reverse shell border on the outside, and a simple light star border on the instead. Then I used a little purple buttercream to pipe Happy Birthday Rebecca (the happy ran a little), a simple flower, and some stars. I kept this simple, quick, and chocolaty because I didn't have much time and already had two other cakes, and because I love chocolate. 

No comments: