Sunday, June 02, 2013

Salmon Steaks

Yesterday we tried grilling some salmon steaks. By we, I mean my father, he is the grill master in the house! Usually when we eat salmon we buy salmon portions - they are the perfect size, easy to do, cook quickly, and have no bones (supposedly anyway). This time we decided to try salmon steaks. We prepared them the same way - grilled on the barbecue on maple planks with a little brown sugar. Overall though, the reviews were not as good as they are for salmon portions. I did not mind the steaks myself, although I must say I do prefer portions because they are a bit tastier, an easier shape to deal with, and usually have no bones to pick out. Steaks have skin that needs to be peeled off too, though this isn't difficult at all, but portions already have the thick skin removed. The steaks seemed to lack a bit in flavor. Maybe this was just an off batch of steaks, but usually we do not have any problems with portions, so I think we will stick to them. These were nice to try for a change, but fresh salmon can be expensive, even when on sale, and these didn't really live up to their price tag. I personally love pretty much any type of salmon, or all seafood for that matter, so I enjoyed these too, just not quite as much as the portions.
You can see the brown sugar melting into the steaks here.

No comments: