Saturday, June 08, 2013

Devil's Food Birthday Cake

Here is my second birthday cake. I actually can't remember any year where I had less than two birthday cakes. This year I have three. My parents do not agree with me making my own birthday cake. So they made me one, but I also made one myself this year. Last year I compromised and decided to make a cake together with my boyfriend. They agreed to this, but still thought I should not have helped make my own birthday cake, and made me another one.
This year, me boyfriend decided to make one by himself. I didn't say anything, not a peep (okay maybe I mentioned cake and birthday a few times). But I guess my boyfriend understood since I made him a birthday cake, he would make me one. I had no idea what kind of cake it would be - if it would be simple, or decorated with icing or just fruit or what. I actually hadn't hinted at anything, I was totally cool with a surprise! This is the masterpiece he came up with.
This is a double layer Devil's Food chocolate cake (to contrast my angel food cake), and from scratch of course. It is frosted with homemade buttercream icing, and filled with buttercream and raspberry marmalade. The outside is decorated with fresh raspberries, some pink spikes, and pink piping. Lettering is not an easy feat for someone who does not decorate very often! The look is very simple, but of course very nice! I was quite impressed, considering my boyfriend does not normally bake or decorate, and he did this himself by scratch. The look was very nice, and the two layers were stacked perfectly, I always had trouble with layered cakes when I first started out. And the cake also survived the hardest part - transport.
That was before tasting it. The Devil's Food cake is very good - it is chocolaty and moist, with a tender crumb. A very nice cake. The buttercream was also sweet and tasty, and the hint of raspberry flavor complemented the chocolate perfectly. I am extremely pleased and I greatly appreciate all the effort that went into making and decorating this cake, as cakes can be daunting tasks for even the most experienced bakers. 

Thanks again so much to my amazing boyfriend for a beautiful cake. It is delicious! :)

No comments: