Saturday, July 28, 2012

Oatmeal Bread

Since I was all out of flax seed, I had bran flakes cereal to go with my breakfast instead of my usual oatmeal, I decided to make an oatmeal bread. Usually I only make one loaf of bread at a time, because I like to try many new recipes, and I like to test a recipe before I make a big batch of it, but this recipe was easier not to halve. However, I almost ran out of whole wheat flour too! I managed to scrounge up just enough to finish up the bread. This is another recipe from my favorite bread cookbook, Company's Coming "Breads".

Oatmeal Bread
1 cup rolled oats
3 Tablespoons butter or hard margarine
1/4 cup mild molasses
2 cups boiling water
1/4 cup warm water
1 teaspoon granulated (white) sugar
1 package (8 grams) active dry yeast
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons salt
6 cups flour (all-purpose or whole wheat), approximately
TOPPING (optional)
1 large egg white
1 Tablespoon water
1/4 cup rolled oats (more or less)
In a large bowl, put the oats, butter, and molasses. Pour the boiling water over and stir. Let cool to lukewarm.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, dissolve the sugar in the water. Sprinkle the yeast over top and let stand for 10 minutes until bubbly.
Add the yeast mixture to the oat mixture, then add the brown sugar, salt, and 2 cups of the flour. Gradually add remaining flour, then knead for 8 to 10 minutes until smooth. Place dough in a large greased bowl and let rise for 1 - 1 1/2 hours until doubled in bulk. Punch dough down, divide into two equal portions, and place each into a greased 9x5 inch loaf pan. Let rise for 20 to 40 minutes until doubled in bulk.
Preheat oven to 350F. For the topping: in a small bowl, beat the egg white with the water and brush over the tops of the loaves. Sprinkle with oats. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes.

Paré, Jean. "Oatmeal Bread." Recipe. Breads, Edmonton Alberta: Company's Coming Publishing Limited, 1996. 127.

No comments: