Sunday, July 15, 2012

Whole Wheat Yogurt Loaf

Since I was running low on my stock of homemade whole wheat bread, and I had some leftover plain yogurt in the fridge after using it in another recipe, I searched for a bread recipe that would incorporate it. I suppose I could have just eaten the yogurt, however there was quite a bit leftover and I already had plenty of yogurt to snack on. Also, plain yogurt may be good for baking, but for eating alone, it is just so plain. Although it is supposedly the best for you, and can be spruced up with fruit, cereal, nuts, and honey, I prefer flavored yogurts. I have also become accustomed to the thicker, creamed texture of Greek yogurt. So I decided to use this leftover plain yogurt for my baking. I found three good whole wheat bread recipes with yogurt, one using a bread machine, one with two rises and yeast, and one quick loaf with baking soda. Since I don't have a bread machine, and didn't have a lot of time to wait for bread to rise, I chose the quick loaf recipe.

Whole Wheat Yogurt Loaf
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or hard margarine, melted
1/3 cup liquid honey
1 cup plain, fat-free yogurt
1 large egg
2 Tablespoons white vinegar mixed with 2 Tablespoons water or milk (1/4 cup lemon juice may also be used)
2 cups whole wheat flour (or 1 cup white flour & 1 cup whole wheat flour)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
*Add seeds, bran, flax, other whole grains, nuts, spices, or whatever else you wish.
Preheat oven to 375F. Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
In a large bowl, whisk together the butter and honey. Whisk in the yogurt, egg, vinegar, and water. Add the remaining ingredients, mix well. Spread into prepared pan. Bake for 40-50 minutes until done.

No comments: