Friday, July 13, 2012

Sudoku Cookie Puzzle

This is what I made using the brown sugar cookies from yesterday. I simply rolled the dough into a rectangle about 1/4 inch thick, and then cut the dough into a bunch of small squares. I didn't bother to move the squares apart or anything, I just baked the cookies as one giant mass. Then, right after baking them while they were still warm, I re-cut them, although the cut lines were still clearly visible; they just needed a bit of reinforcement. The squares are not perfectly even as you can see, but they don't look too bad.
I arranged these cookies into nine rows of nine, and then partitioned them into 3x3 squares with 9 cookies in each square. This was done to resemble a Sudoku puzzle. A Sudoku puzzle is a number puzzle in which every horizontal row, vertical column, and 3x3 box contains the numbers 1-9. The puzzle is started with some numbers already filled in for you, the more numbers given. the easier the puzzle is. My cookies are an example of a puzzle that has been completely solved. I just used some purple icing to write the numbers on the cookies. I followed a completely solved Sudoku puzzle that appeared in the newspaper (I love solving these puzzles, hopefully I didn't make any mistakes). I used a different color icing and a thicker tip to partition off the nine different squares. And that was it! Pretty simple, and a cute puzzle. Another idea is to only put a few squares on the pan, and have the diners solve the puzzle before they can eat it!

No comments: