Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Creamy Brandy Sauce

Here is the sauce recipe I served on my plum pudding from yesterday. Of course a good, hearty Christmas pudding calls for a hard sauce. Normally for this I tend to stick with rum, since that it what I know best and I know the flavor is good, but this time I decided to experiment a little and try a brandy sauce. 
Creamy Brandy Sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 Tablespoons all-purpose (plain) flour
pinch salt
3/4 cup 2% milk
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into cubes
1/4 cup brandy (rum would work too)
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon or nutmeg

In a tall, microwave-safe bowl, whisk together the sugar, flour, and salt. Slowly whisk in the milk. Microwave on HIGH (100%) power for one minute. Whisk, then add the butter and microwave for another minute, or until sauce is creamy and thickened. Whisk and microwave one more minute. Whisk in the brandy, then the cinnamon. Serve warm.
As I mentioned, the past two years I also made Christmas pudding recipes; Figgy Pudding in 2011 and Sticky Toffee Pudding in 2012.
To check out my Christmas puddings from past years, look here: {Figgy Pudding}, {Sticky Toffee Pudding}.

Here are two additional sauce recipes that could also be served on the plum puddings. My {Rum Butter Sauce} from my Figgy Pudding and my {Toffee Rum Sauce} from my Sticky Toffee Pudding.

No comments: