Friday, December 20, 2013

Kite Cake

This is a cake I made meant to be shaped like a kite. I know it isn't exactly a kite replica, but that's fine. Kites do come in all shapes and sizes. I made this cake after reading the novel The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini, which is why that is written on the kite. This cake is my signature chocolate cake recipe baked into a 9x13 inch rectangle. I then cut four triangles off each corner to make somewhat of a kite shape. I frosted the top with my signature white buttercream. I didn't bother attempting to frost the sides - sides are difficult enough as it is, especially with a moist cake. However, I cut pieces off, so instead of frosting the edges I would really be frosting the inside of the cake - not a eeat feat. So I saved some icing, cake, time, effort, and a major headache by not frosting the sides. This wouldn't work with every cake design, but it looks fine with this cake, and is less messy as well. Then I used red and green (why not make it Christmas colors) to make a rope border on the top of the cake. I made a simple shell border on the bottom, alternating red and green with each side. I added the "sticks" in the middle of the kite along with the lettering, and added a few stars for decoration. If I had used a bigger platter and wanted to go more elaborate and realistic, I could have used the extra cake triangles to make some bows, and attached them to the kite with licorice for the ribbon. Overall though, this design was pretty simple and was very fast to make.

No comments: