Tuesday, December 03, 2013

Deceptive Deep Dish Cookie Pie

This is not exactly another protein bar recipe, but I am sure it could modified into one. However, this is a high-protein, chocolaty and delicious version of a deep dish chocolate chip cookie pie, thanks to the addition of beans and oats. I know right, a healthy deep dish chocolate chip cookie pie? Isn't that an oxymoron? Not in this case; not only is this pie healthy and delicious, it also happens to be vegan and gluten free. 

Deceptive Deep Dish Cookie Pie 
1 can white beans
1 cup quick oats (gluten free if needed)
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
3 Tablespoons oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9-inch round springform pan.
Blend all ingredients except for the chocolate chips in a food processor until really smooth. Stir in the chocolate chips by hand. Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 35-45 minutes, until just set. You may want to cover the top with foil if it becomes too brown. Delicious hot or cooled - just try to let it sit ten minutes so it cuts neater (I so did not do this - hypocrite, I know). 
I made this recipe exactly according to the original for my first trial, as I was a little nervous as to how it would turn out or how others would perceive it. In other words, I didn't want it to taste 'healthy'. My mother wasn't a huge fan - she didn't care for the texture, but she saw what I put in it. I think I should have processed it a bit longer, but I didn't want to liquefy it (been there, done that) so I held off. Next time I may process just the beans alone for a bit first. My father enjoyed it and didn't know what was in it, but agreed the texture was slightly off, you can't really taste the beans and the yummy amount of chocolate chips helped mask it. 

Now that I know it works well, next time if I was making this recipe for myself or turning it into a protein bar I would make some changes to make it even healthier. The original recipes is from my favorite healthy dessert blog: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/.
- I would use old-fashioned oats instead of instant since they are ground in the recipe anyway.
- I would decrease the amount of sugar, and use dates instead. Some have had success with using stevia, but I don't have experience with that ingredient, and the effects of it are not well known.
- I would increase the applesauce and decrease the oil.
- I would use dark chocolate chips or chunks. 
- I may add some flax or wheat germ for more flavor and nutrition.
- I think I may have overbaked it a tad - it did still remain gooey and yummy, which isn't a concern considering there is no egg in it. But it was a little dark - covering it with foil may help. 

No comments: