Friday, December 13, 2013

Alice In Wonderland Cookies

I was recently asked to make some cookies for an Alice In Wonderland themed semi formal school dance. The only criteria I was given was to make them either sugar or shortbread cookies with pink or purple icing that say "Eat Me". I toyed with the shape I would want to make them. I debated some Christmas shapes, but decided against it since the dance is not a Christmas theme, although it is close to the Christmas season. Then I though of Alice In Wonderland shapes. A cat would be difficult to make it look like the Cheshire cat, same with the white rabbit. So I settled on some simpler shapes - hearts and diamonds. This represents the playing cards in the story. I didn't have any club or spade cookie cutters, and they do not have as seemingly big a part in the story anyway. I chose my basic, go-to sugar cookie recipe, which can be found here {Sugar Cookies }. And I used both purple and pink icing. The only problem I had was my wrist kept becoming very sore, as I made the icing fairly stiff so it would not run and would pipe well and harden well for easy storage and transportation. It's times like this I wish I could pipe lettering well with both hands. 
I made five dozen of them.

No comments: