Monday, December 23, 2013

Plum Pudding

The past two years I have made a Christmas pudding recipe around Christmastime. Keeping with tradition, I decided to do this again, and this year I chose plum pudding. Traditionally, plum pudding does not actually contain any plums at all - in the seventeenth century, plums referred to raisins or dates or other dried fruits, or the definition of a plum was that of any dried fruit. However, nowadays I have seen two different types of plum pudding recipes - the traditional with dried fruit, or the modern with real canned plums and white bread. Both seem to have in common spices, fruit, molasses, and a warm sauce to serve.

As I often do, I decided to take the best of both worlds. I took a traditional plum pudding recipe, but I wanted to add plums to it. This proved to be a difficult task, as plums are not easy to find this year. I didn't find the canned I was looking for, nor fresh or frozen. The solution I came up with - dried plums. Which, yes, are actually prunes. Therefore, they are more like dates, keeping with the traditional recipe. I also decided to bake the pudding, instead of the traditional method of steaming. 

Plum Pudding
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
2 large eggs, beaten
3/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup orange juice
1/4 cup granulated (white) sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups all-purpose (plain) flour
1 1/2 cups raisins
1 1/2 cups chopped prunes
1 1/3 cups cut mixed peel
Preheat oven 350F. Grease an 8x8 inch square pan (an 8 inch round pan would also work).
In a large bowl, beat together the butter, eggs, molasses, and juice. Beat in the sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, and salt. Stir in all but 1/4 cup of the flour.
Toss the fruit with the remaining 1/4 cup flour to prevent it from sticking. Mix it in.
Spread batter evenly in prepared pan. Bake for 40-45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Best served warm with a warm sauce. Can be reheated.

Tomorrow I will feature the sauce recipe I served with my plum pudding. 

No comments: