Sunday, December 01, 2013

Christmas Baking Begins

It is now December, which means my mother began her Christmas baking the other day. She always begins way before me, and we enjoy some cookies hot from the oven, then she packages and freezes the rest. We use them to send to neighbors, to serve to company, and to enjoy the leftovers ourselves into the new year. I do most of my baking closer to Christmas and tend to serve the baked goods fresh. This is because my mother makes mostly different types of Christmas cookies, and of course I cannot forget her delicious chocolate fruitcake. I tend to make other items such as Panettone, my Christmas fruit bread, and pudding - figgy, sticky toffee, etc., and sometimes a Christmas cake. 

My mother has her classic, tried-and-true recipes she stands by and makes each yea. She also likes to try one or two new recipes each year, which sometimes become new family favorites and replace old ones. I have provided the links to the different goodies below, some have a recipe included, but some are family stand-bys and do not. Sorry!

Each year we have:  Gingerbread People, Gingerbread Cookies, Kiss Cookies, Button Cookies, Shortbread Cookies, Chocolate Shortbread Cookies, Sugar Cookies (though these aren't the Christmas version here, they are pictured below and are the same recipe) Chocolate Fruitcake, Shreddies Mix.

Other Christmas cookies I have made throughout the years include:  Iced Ginger Cookies, Chrismtas Checkerboard Cookies, Ginger Crinklesand Candy Cane Biscotti.

Other Christmas treats that have been made by me or others include:  Eggnog Muffins, Hot Cocoa, Fruitcake Cookies, Sticky Toffee Pudding, Panettone Gifts, Panettone, Brownie Gifts, Merrfy Fruit Squares, Figgy Puddingand Candy Cane Brownies.
This picture was taken a few days ago, so the count down until Christmas now reads 24 days!

No comments: