Monday, July 23, 2012

Chocolate Birthday Cake

Last year, I made a "Death By Chocolate" cake for my brother's birthday. It was the most chocolatey cake I have ever made and could even think of making. It was delicious, and certainly a chocoholic's dream! Obviously, it didn't quite do the trick though. I asked my brother (well in advance, of course, preparation is key) what kind of cake he wanted for his birthday this year. He responded simply, "chocolate." Here is roughly how the conversation went:
Me: What kind of cake do you want for your birthday?
Him: Chocolate.
Me: What kind of icing?
Him: Chocolate.
Me: What kind of filling?
Him: Chocolate.
Me: Piping?
Him: Chocolate.
Me: Decorations?
Him: Chocolate.
Me: Lettering?
Him: Chocolate. Just make everything chocolate.
Me: What do you want it shaped like? Do you want any particular figure, or just a round cake?
Him: Chocolate. I want it shaped like chocolate. And don't even bother writing "Happy Birthday" on it. Just make it say "Happy Chocolate."
Me: Okaaaay then.....

See my problem? How exactly do you make a cake shaped like chocolate, besides just having a chocolate cake? Should I just slap a chocolate bar down in front of him and be done with it? Of course not, I am way too ambitious and dedicated for that. Besides, that would be no fun! So, here is a picture of the cake base I came up with. It is not yet nearly as chocolatey as it will be once completed, but I will show you that tomorrow along with the recipe and explanation. 

No comments: