Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Calculator Cake

Here is a calculator cake I decorated. I was debating decorating it as a fancy TI-84 plus calculator or even as the TI-Nspire calculator, but I decided against it. Both of these calculators have over forty buttons, each different shapes and colors. They also have a lot of tiny writing on them - on their buttons and above the buttons for second and alphabet options. They both sounded a bit complicated to do on a small cake with limited resources, and also if you choose to imitate a well-known calculator, it is important to get every single detail accurate. So I decided just to make a simple calculator cake, not copying any specific design or model, just having a basic picture in my head, and adapting it to fit the amount of space I had left on the cake. At the top I have a large display screen, currently showing the number 123456. Below that, I have a row of buttons as follows: clear, brackets, square route, x squared, and on. I have the ten numbers in the middle, along with a decimal button. At the bottom, I have multiplication, division, subtraction, and addition buttons. On the right, I have a large equal button. 
To decorate this cake, I simply used a 9x13 inch quick chocolate cake covered in my signature vanilla buttercream icing. I added a simple star border using chocolate fudge frosting all along the edge of the cake on the top and on the bottom. Then I partitioned the buttons with more piped stars as I pleased. I wrote on the bottoms by piping purple buttercream icing. It was a pretty simple and fast cake to make, it just required the use of a lot of square and rectangle shapes. And of course, the classic combination of a chocolate cake with vanilla buttercream and chocolate piping is always a hit.

No comments: