Friday, July 10, 2015

Prepping For The Weekend

Today was much like yesterday. Fridays tend to be big days for us because we need to do all the prep for the two really busy days ahead, as we never seem to have much time to do prep between all the orders on Saturdays and Sundays; but Fridays also tend to be fairly busy days as well. So we have to go through our checklists and ensure we have extra of everything prepped so we don’t run out of anything in the middle of a busy service.
My prep jobs today included slicing bread, making chicken salad sandwich mix, making bound prawns, cutting vegetables for salad mix, chopping onions, filleting fish, organizing the fridge, cleaning, labelling, taking inventory, etc.

I was in charge of the starter section again – responsible for setting up and making sure everything was in place. I also set up the pastry section and made the mashed potatoes and helped put together some welcome baskets. One of the other cooks was doing most of the orders on the starter section at first, but did not want to do any of the sandwich orders, as apparently he really hates making sandwiches. Since there were a lot of sandwich orders combined with a lot of orders in general, I did the sandwiches for him, along with some other orders. I was trying to get some prep done, but would hop off prep and help him when necessary. I was also looking after all the pastry orders. 

As the day progressed on, I began filling more of the orders and doing less prep, but still prepping when I had a spare moment. Today was not too too busy, we did 212 covers, but in the evening we had a group of ten and a group of twenty come in, so there were some times of big rushes with a lot of orders, but it just didn’t seem as busy to me; hopefully that means I am getting use to and getting better at busy services. 
One of the annoying prep jobs - veg of the day

No comments: