Saturday, July 11, 2015

Sandwiches By Day, Quiet By Night

Today was a typical day on the starter line, yet it was somewhat odd. In the early afternoon, I got so many orders for so many sandwiches! I still had some things I was scared would run out as we were not finished prepping them yet, but it did not happen. Immediately, I had to prep some more salad, because not only did we not have enough for the bar for the weekend, it was also needed for a function. I had accidentally taken the sliced salad ingredients for a barbecue today last night, as they were placed in the bar section of the fridge. Luckily, the head chef was not mad at me, as long as I re-prepped them for him. He laughed and blamed the other cook. “You can’t blame the apprentice cook.” He said, which is the opposite of what is usually done is. I told him it was payback for when he had accidentally bumped the switch and shut off the gas the day before, so we had to stop and relight everything in the middle of service, and he laughed at that.

It was pretty steady all afternoon, making it difficult for me to get much prep done. Luckily, there were two other cooks around to do my main prep jobs – batter and fry fish and onion rings, make crisps, make garlic potatoes, clean crevettes, cut ribs, etc. So we did end up getting a lot done today. I was beginning to panic a bit around supper time, but the after dinner rush never came, and it was fairly quiet all evening, so I was able to get some easy prep jobs done myself. 
Tuna melt special - yummy!
I just realized that I did all the starter orders myself today, with no help. Sure, it wasn’t as busy as usual in the evening, but the afternoon was very steady. I even covered a good half of the dessert orders. And I handled a special of the day – a tuna melt on a brioche bun with potato wedges and red pepper mayo. 

No comments: