Wednesday, July 01, 2015

Hot Summer Day

Today was very much like yesterday, the one difference being the head chef was back, and I thought that would make my day less enjoyable. I’m not sure if he was just in a good mood today or if I really didn’t give him anything to complain about, but he did not get on my case. He even said, “I heard you did well on this section yesterday.” Today was sweltering hot again, and salads and ice creams were selling as fast as the ice cream was melting. 

Today we did over two hundred covers, which is insane when you consider it is a Wednesday in a tiny village of basically two streets. As I walked home, the other two bars in the village were pretty busy as well. This was like a typically busy Sunday. I was beginning to worry that I would not be able to keep up this section myself during a Sunday service, but now I realize today was just like a Sunday service. But does that mean Sunday will be even busier? Can I handle that? I had the usual starter cook help me out a few times today, as there was a different chef on mains who likes things done slightly differently as well. 

Aside from doing all the starters, I was told to set up the pastry section as well, which needs to be done well because pastry orders are shared by whoever isn’t busy at the time the order comes in when there is no one solely working on pastry. I was also able to do a few prep jobs, but not many considering it was so busy. Someone else was doing prep for me, though they were having a tough time keeping up as well. I even had a starter special to worry about – warm roast beef and cheese on a toasted bap with horseradish cream, tomato, onion marmalade, and a small salad.
Starter Special
At the one quiet point of the day – between 4:30 and 5:30p.m., we have to worry about preparing staff meal. We had some burgers to go out, and I was told to make a salad to go with it so I made a marinated try color pepper salad with creamy dressing. After a busy service, we scrubbed down everything and finished around 10:30p.m.

No comments: