Sunday, July 05, 2015

I Think We Broke Her

Today I was anticipating a busy day on the starter line. I wasn’t feeling too stressed about it though, because I knew there would be four of us in today, therefore if I needed help someone could bail me out and there would be less pressure on me. I was still totally responsible for my station, and although I had prepped well yesterday – there were a few last-minute things I needed to get done, which was difficult because orders for scones and toast were coming in early and I had to keep stopping to fill those. I had to slice bread, chop onions, make balsamic dressing, take things from the freezer, wash lettuce, slice ham, heat up potatoes and veg, and get my station set-up at usual before opening at noon.

Orders today were more steady than usual. It was busy, but it wasn’t like sixteen fish and chips and five toasted sandwiches at once – the orders were more spread out and balanced between main courses and starters and desserts. On Sundays we do a slightly different menu with roast beef and roast lamb with potatoes and vegetables and gravy on special as well as a dish of the day and a chicken burger, and sandwiches don’t come onto the menu until evening, so that gave me a bit of a break.
Sunday roast beef dish
Notable moment of the day: the weather here is crazy and changes in an instant, but it was the first time I had experienced a thunder storm here. It was raining buckets, and apparently the thunder and lightening were quite bad too, though I hardly noticed it in the kitchen. What brought it to my attention was when the lights went out shortly twice in a row, which caused the power to go off completely in the kitchen in the middle of cooking and a busy service. It was only out for a few seconds, but because it was out, that means the gas went out and had to be turned back on, as well as all the pilot lights on the burners, broilers, and deep-fryers had to be re-lit before we continued cooking. That’s a hassle and a pain during a rush time. We didn’t even get the usual supper-time quiet time to catch our breaths or re-stock our stations, and I kept running out of dishes. It is actually more the job of the dishwasher/kitchen assistant and servers job to stack my dishes, but I don’t expect them to know exactly what I need and sometimes it is faster to go fetch them myself than to ask someone else. I did work a bit tidier today, so I am happy with that, but I still have room for improvement.

Today during the dinnertime rush, when we were not crazy rushed because of the number of us in the kitchen, but still really busy, I got really talkative. I guess I am finally beginning to feel really comfortable in the kitchen now, especially now that I feel I can master a section myself on a busy day.  I am also getting a bit more assertive – for example, every single order, even as small as an extra slice of bread or dipping sauce, must come through the till so we in the kitchen have record of it and it gets charged for, as it is all part of our food costing. Nothing is free. One of the servers asked me for a ramekin of gravy, and I said, “Do you have a docket for that? No docket, no sauce.” Just then one of the chefs walked by and said, “You tell him, Rebecca!” I got really chatty with the other cooks and the server working the pass, and began talking to myself, almost as a way of coaching myself through the busy service and knowing what to do next. I was singing as well, though I know I can’t sing, I do know my songs. They were mocking me or laughing slightly, as they weren’t familiar with all the songs and stories I was telling, being from a different country, I think they thought I was a bit crazy. She hasn’t even had a drink yet, they said. I was having fun though, and getting my dishes out there. “I think we broke her,” they said, “Too many hours in the kitchen, too busy of a service.” I just laughed. When it got busier, I got quieter, so I could focus better. But at the end of the day, they reported this to the head chef who asked how got along, and he said he would ring my parents immediately to have me sent back home. All jokes in good humor!

Walking home after cleaning up from the 303 covers we did today (I was in charge of the starter section for 303 covers???? Wow! You go girl!), I met one of the workers from the village shop that had called me a taxi a few weeks ago when I didn’t have a phone yet, and had asked me about my favorite chefs. She remembered my name, and asked how I was getting along in the kitchens, and then said, “You’re an amazing girl!” That made my day finish off on an even higher note!

No comments: