Friday, July 03, 2015

A Cesar Salad Kind Of Day

I am beginning to sound like a broken record here when I say I was on starters alone again today, in charge of the station and all the orders meanwhile trying to get some prep done for the station as well. I think I did well again today – chef really didn’t pick on me, but surprisingly for a Friday it was only about half as busy as Wednesday.

I began with setting up my station, then putting together welcome baskets for guests arriving that day. We do up baskets of food to give to accommodations for certain packages – today we needed three family break packages for four and three girls’ getaway packages – one for four, one for six, and one for eight people. These baskets include items like tortilla chips, popcorn, miniature ice cream tubs, fruit, chocolate, wine, etc. I had another starter special to worry about today – a Cajun chicken Ceasar salad which sold really well, no doubt due to the warm weather. 
Cajun chicken Cesar salad
I seem to be getting the hang of keeping up with numerous and longer orders, making my plates faster and more consistently, keeping my station well stocked, prepared, neat, and organized, and keeping myself busy by finding little prep jobs to do, even if I only have a minute or two to spare between orders. 

Notable events of the day: chef giving me a ‘pass’ when he quizzed me on the components of a Cesar salad (like yesterday when he asked why I was toasting four burger buns for only two orders, forgetting it was two burgers per order). They claim they like to ‘test’ me. But really, everyone makes mistakes. Later on, chef blamed me for his cream sauce boiling over and making a mess on the stove, and blamed me for spilling strawberry milkshake on the floor, both of which were jokes I took lightly. It’s not like he made me clean them up.

Today the kitchen seemed busy with extra people around, and although no one was really joking and laughing, no one was really cranky either. We also had a steak special on main, a tiramisu special on dessert, and a milkshake special.

No comments: