Wednesday, July 08, 2015

Chocolate, Chatting, and Chilling

I wish I could say I did something exciting on my day off today, but I really didn’t. I did feel productive – getting chores and things done at home, but I didn’t do anything significant. I went to staff meal, visited the chocolate shop, and went for a walk.

I was happy that the chocolate shop was open again on my day off – as it isn’t open very often and it was only my third time there. The owner is always very friendly and willing to talk. I chatted with her for a bit while she worked. I would love to help her out on my days off, but I don’t have many chances to do that and she only has a small shop and works infrequently. But it was nice to watch her making chocolate bark, dipping truffles, and packaging chocolate bars while we chatted, mostly about the industry. She said she would have liked to do something like what I am doing when she was younger, but had taken a different career path at first. I agreed that chefing like this is something you have to do when you are young and can more easily handle the long hours and time on your feet. But she was happy to have started her own small business later in life, although she admitted it is tougher once you have a family and more commitments. 
A view from my walk
After that I went for a walk in a direction I had not walked before, and discovered a tranquil path that lead back to the other side of the village, passing many cows on my way, so that was neat and relaxing, despite the mix of sun, wind, heat, and rain I endured during the hour.

No comments: