Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Practicing Knife Skills

Today there were no events going on, so we had a day of prep. I went in early again, thinking I could help out with breakfast. There was already another cook helping out with breakfast, but the cook I was to be working with was already in as well. So I got straight to prep work. My accomplishments of the day include: peeling 500 asparagus spears, dicing one box (about 30) red bell peppers, concasséing 24 beef tomatoes, dicing twelve leeks, dicing 64 stalks of celery, and dicing one bag (eight breasts) of smoked chicken. Honestly, it was a rather boring day of tedious prep work, but at least I was given different tasks instead of just peeling another 1000 asparagus. It was also a lot of standing in one spot all day, which I find tiresome. I don’t mind being on my feet all day, but I find staying in the same spot to be hard on the muscles.
At least this gave me a lot of practice on my knife skills today. I haven’t done this much chopping and dicing in a long time, and now my knife definitely needs sharpening. 
The salad that causes all the pain - five perfectly peeled and blanched asparagus stalks required for each plate.

No comments: