Sunday, June 03, 2012

Candy Clay

This year for my birthday cake, I came up with a bit of a compromise (in other words, a sneaky way for me to be able to make at least part of my own cake). I found the idea in my Cake Boss book "Baking With The Cake Boss" and I fell in love with it immediately. I think it is the most adorable cake in the book and it was just so darn cute I had to have it! It is a two-tiered jungle-themed cake that features a waterfall, trees, grass, leaves, rocks, and cute little jungle animals made out of modelling chocolate. The book also states that it is the most ambitious cake in the book, but I didn't let that daunt me. I still don't believe this, as most of the cakes use a lot on fondant or gum paste, or fancy shaped flowers. I think what makes this cake the most difficult are all of the jungle animals that are on it - but they aren't particularly difficult when you use modelling chocolate, or in my case a close substitute, candy clay. Also, there is no reason the cake needs to have all six animals featured on it, there are only three featured on my cake, and that is plenty. Just choose the easiest ones to make or the cutest looking ones or the ones you have the right color modelling chocolate for. Anyway, I did get this cake for my birthday, but my birthday is not until tomorrow, so I will feature the cake then and fill you in on all of the details. For now though, I will share with you a recipe for candy clay, which is very much like it sounds - candy that is just like working with clay but completely edible. It also must be made the day before you use it. It is similar to modeling chocolate and gum paste, but much easier to make and work with. You use it just like you would regular clay, and then you can eat it. It certainly isn't the tastiest thing in the world, as it is mainly just sugar and artificial flavor, so I mainly use it for presentation (and the animals on my jungle cake are way too cute to eat). The candy clay is a bit chewy, very sweet, and doesn't have the best flavor, but I do like it a bit more than I like fondant. I found the recipe at wilton.com, the ultimate site for cake decorating. It is incredibly easy and quick.

Candy Clay
1 package (14 ounces/340-397 grams) Wilton Candy Melts* (any color or flavor)
NOTE: If using white candy melts, any color food coloring may be added after melting (or can be kneaded in later for several different colors.
1/4 cup light corn syrup

Melt the Candy Melts according to package directions. Stir in the corn syrup. Turn mixture onto waxed paper lined cookie sheet (about 1/4 inch thick) and leave overnight to dry. Once dry, wrap well and store at room temperature until needed. Will last several weeks.
To use: Briefly knead small portions of candy clay at a time until soft enough to use. Shape into desired shapes. If candy clay becomes very soft, set it aside briefly until it hardens slightly. Ideas for candy clay flowers, animals, etc. can be found at wilton.com.

*Wilton Candy Melts are small candies, almost like chocolate chips, that come in a wide variety of different colors and are easily meltable. They are mainly used for candy making. They are found in two main flavors: artificial vanilla and chocolate. They can be found wherever Wilton products are sold.

“Candy Clay.”  http://www.wilton.com/recipe/Candy-Clay-1 . Wilton, n.d. Saturday, June 2, 2012.

No comments: