Sunday, June 17, 2012

Father's Day Cake

Here is the little Father's Day cake I made for my dad for today. It certainly isn't very fancy or extravagant, nothing compared to my birthday cake and not even as impressive as my Mother's Day cake. Well, that is the result of being pressed for time. I really didn't have enough spare time this weekend to make a cake from scratch, make some of my buttercream, and spend a few hours decorating it like I do for most celebrations. I apologized to my father for this, and gave him a raincheck for another cake or dessert when I actually have time to make it. (To be fair, I have been asking him since Mother's Day, what kind of Father;s Day cake he wanted, and he never answered me). 
This cake was an extra cake I had in the freezer. The icing was also leftover from another cake I made, and was stored in the freezer (hence the color choice). In a way, this worked out well, because I got to use up that cake and icing in the freezer. Cakes and icing freeze very well, especially if they are not stored for too long. This cake stayed very moist in the freezer and the icing consistency remains the same as usual once thawed. To make this cake, I thawed the icing in the fridge for a few hours. Then I spread it on the cake while it was still frozen (cakes, especially really moist ones, are actually easier to frost when frozen). I swirled the icing with a knife for a nice design. This is also a good design to keep in mind if you are having trouble spreading your icing smoothly. I store my icing in resealable plastic bags in the freezer, and just scoop it out, or put it in a bowl when still frozen, that way none gets wasted. Then for the piping details, I just left the icing in the bag and snipped off one of the corners. If you are having trouble mastering buttercream roses, you can make some pretty nice flowers just using a plastic bag and icing.
Since I took this cake and icing from the freezer, it was extremely quick to ice and decorate. Nonetheless, it was still very moist and tasty, and I know my father enjoyed it. Sometimes I think my family actually prefers just to have a simple, plainly decorated classic cake like we always used to. Sometimes it is nice to ave things plain and simple for a day, instead of fancy and elaborate.
Happy Father's Day!

No comments: