Saturday, April 06, 2013

Pepper Steak

Pepper Steak is one of my father's favorite dishes that my mother apparently does not make nearly often enough. I am not a huge fan of it, as I am not a fan of steak or even red meat in general, but this is about the only way I will tolerate steak, so it must be pretty good. It is also the only way my mother will tolerate peppers. The recipe comes form one of my mother's old recipe books, and she began making it ages ago. 
The recipe basically begins with sauteeing some green pepper, onion, and mushrooms until soft. To this tomato sauce, soy sauce, water, flavor, and spices are added. This mixture is poured over strips of steak placed in a casserole dish. Then the entire dish is baked for about an hour until very tender. This results in tender chunks of steak cooked in a thick, spicy sauce that is perfect served over a bed of rice, or with pasta or noodles if you prefer. You can also use different color peppers for more color and flavor. here, you can see some of the big chunks of pepper along with the steak in the thick sauce, served over a bed pf rice you can hardly see.

No comments: