Monday, April 29, 2013

Message On A Brownie

What do you make when you don't have time for a cake, but want to convey a message on food? Well, a quick, easy, and equally as effective option is brownies. Cookies work too, but I find brownies, or another type of square for that matter, to be quicker, because you simply bake them in a pan and then cut them up - no rolling, forming or cutting shapes out involved. Brownies are one of the better options for squares though, because they have a smooth, even texture and appearance on top, and they do not need a lot of icing, but are definitely good with icing. With these brownies, I did not put an entire layer of chocolate frosting on top, as they did not need it (though it is certainly a possibility). But I did use some plain vanilla icing to pipe on the letters I wanted.

I baked a batch of the brownies from the recipe featured in yesterday's post. Then I cut them into squares, organized them on a good-sized platter, and piped letters on the brownies to spell out my message. To do this, I just used a quick vanilla icing and my piping bag fitted with a plain open tip, but a plastic bag with a hole snipped from the corner would work just as well. This idea works well with long and short messages. For short messages, just pipe on a letter per brownie, and use any extras for spaces or shapes to add to the message. For longer messages, cut the brownies a bit larger and use one brownie per word. This is a good alternative to cake as it is easier, quicker, and less messy to serve and easier to eat. It is also good for those who are not great at cake decorating or if you are looking to make a dessert other than cake.
Most viewers probably don't really understand my message. I guess it is what's referred to as an inside joke. However, it is basically another spin on that "Keep calm and...." phrase.

No comments: