Monday, December 17, 2012

No Time For Bread

Lately I have been neglecting my blog a bit. I have not been baking much lately, as it is a busy time of year with Christmas preparations and many other things going on. I haven't even really began my Christmas baking yet, although my mother certainly has, and is probably practically finished. I have not even been making much of the things I normally make on a regular basis, such as squares, biscuits, and cereal. I did not even have time to make bread this week, and had already used up my emergency stash of homemade bread I try to keep on hand in the freezer. Now, I will eat store bought bread upon occasion, I just really prefer the taste, texture, and heartiness of homemade bread, plus I love to bake myself. I also like how I can make every loaf different, and change recipes to suit my tastes. The past few weeks I have been making quick loaf breads to tie me over, as I didn't really have time for kneading and rising and proofing and such. These loaves just use baking powder and/or baking soda, and no yeast. This week though, I couldn't even find enough time for that, so I enlisted help. I asked my brother if he wouldn't mind making me a quick loaf of bread, the kind where the dry ingredients are stirred together, the liquid are added, and the batter is poured in a pan and baked. He did a great job, and I really appreciate it. Although it is not bread I made myself, it is still homemade bread from a recipe I chose, and is the next best alternative. I will feature the loaf tomorrow and comment on how it turned out!

No comments: