Monday, October 05, 2015

First Lunch Back At School

Today was my first day back for my second year of culinary school. I know I said I would be posting pictures of things I am making, but the truth is I just haven't had the chance to make anything yet. My new room is still a mess - I haven't had enough time to put everything away yet; I am organizing bit by bit. So needless to say, all my dishes and kitchen equipment is not unpacked yet. 

So for today, I will post my first meal back at culinary school. The first year students (which was me last year) have five different rotations, and each rotation is responsible for some components of lunch. Lunch is a three course meal served in the cafeteria, where the public can come to pay to eat as well. There is a main course with two protein options, two vegetables, and a starch. There is the choice among two soups and a salad. And of course, there are usually several different desserts. There is also bread on the side and pastry items for snacks. There is a speedline as well, offering three types of pizza, poutine, and a vegetarian option. 

The baking and pastry class is responsible for the desserts, breads, and snacks. The soups, stocks, and sauces class is responsible for the two soups and the two sauces accompanying the proteins. The breakfast and butchery class is responsible for the meats, and breakfast of course. The entremetier class is responsible for the vegetables, starches, salads, and packaged sandwiches. The production class is responsible for the speedline and serving the food.
The first years are not yet in the kitchen, they are still doing food safety and first aid classes, so it is a small group of graduates making lunch for the time being. So meals are simple with a lot less choice. Today I had quesadillas with potato wedges, haddock nicoise salad, and éclairs for dessert. 

No comments: