Thursday, October 08, 2015

Eastern Europe Buffet

In class we had a buffet featuring foods from Eastern European countries. Our spread today included, from left to right: Gluten-free meat dumlpings and meat dumplings (top); Tumeric rice, braised carrots and lamb skewers (bottom); Toasted bread with cheese, tomato, and shrimp dip; Chicken in sauce with marinated cucumber; Hungarian Goulash; Fish balls; Baked oysters with Guinness sabayon; Stuffed grape leaves, Greek salad, and Tzatziki; Salmon in pastry.
baked oyseters
toasted bread and dip

These items reign from countries such as Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, Russia, and the Ukraine. If you would like specific traditional names for any dishes or recipes, or more information, I can try to find it out for you. I will be sharing some recipes in the near future, especially for the dishes I personally have made. 
meat dumplings
fish balls

My comments on this buffet: I liked the texture of the meat dumpling dough, but thought the filling could use a bit more flavor, the toasted bread and cheese dip was simple but quite tasty, I enjoyed the goulash which was strongly flavored with paprika, the baked oysters were nice though I do prefer raw oysters, the grape leaves were different and quite tasty, and my favorite was the salmon in pastry. 

No comments: