Saturday, October 03, 2015

Cranberry Knots

When I worked on the pastry section on my internship, I made four different types of bread rolls every day. So I got pretty good at making bread, despite it not being my strong point when I first began. I liked to mix up the flavors. Here is a recipe for a sweeter, fancier bread. It is very tasty, especially straight from the oven, but leftovers are great rewarmed in the oven and slathered in real, fresh butter. This bread is best enjoyed the day it is made, though it can be frozen as well.

Cranberry Knots
680 grams strong (bread) flour
56 grams unsalted butter, softened
22 grams granulated (white) sugar
7 grams salt
handful dried cranberries
42 grams fresh yeast
450 mL whole milk, warmed
Place the flour, butter, sugar, salt, and cranberries in the bowl of a standmixer. Whisk the yeast into the warm milk and add to the bowl. Using a dough hook, mix on low speed until dough forms into a smooth ball. Transfer to a bowl, cover, and proof briefly. 

Divide the dough into fifteen pieces, each should weigh approximately 80 grams. Roll each into a long, thin shape, then form into a knot. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and proof in a warm, draft-free place for about an hour until risen.
Bake at 340F (that's correct, 340) for ten minutes.

No comments: