Wednesday, October 09, 2013

Sweet Caramel Icing

Sweet Caramel Icing
1/4 cup butter or hard margarine
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
3 Tablespoons milk
1 2/3 cups icing (confectioners') sugar

In a small saucepan, heat the butter and sugar until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved. Add milk, heat and stir until smooth. Remove from heat and gradually add icing sugar.

This is the icing recipe I used for my Caramel Apple Coffee Bars from yesterday's post. This icing recipe is really good - not too sweet or too thick, but I did get a little frustrated with it. I thought it wasn't liquidy enough to spread, but I trusted with the recipe and tried it anyway. The result? An icing that wouldn't spread over the entire pan of squares, and cracked in places  Therefore I couldn't cover all of the squares and I didn't get the icing smooth. Oh well, it still tasted good, and I'll know for next time to add a little extra liquid. 
Paré, Jean. "Coffee Apple Squares." Recipe. Chocolate Squared, Edmonton Alberta: Company's Coming Publishing Limited, 2009. 2.

No comments: