Saturday, October 05, 2013

Mini Black Forest Cake - German

I know, I talk about Black Forest cakes a lot. You have to admit they are pretty good, and very nice to look at. Besides, it is Oktoberfest time, and Black Forest cake is a traditional German cake. I was asked to make a Black Forest cake for an Oktoberfest fundraiser, just like last year (see Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte ). I couldn't really decide whether I wanted to do a traditional German version, a modern American version, or a version with the best of both worlds. So I finally decided to make two miniature black forest cakes, one German-style and one American-style. This is the German style, and tomorrow I will share the American style. I did make a few slight changes from the traditional German-style I made a few weeks ago (see Original Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte ). 

This version uses a moister, fluffier chocolate cake recipe, not really a sponge cake but a heavier cake that holds the cake well and absorbs some nice cherry flavor. I also used a slightly different shortbread recipe, as I needed to make a smaller shortbread round, though this one is still thicker. I used the same cherry filling, but I boiled it longer to make it softer. I also moistened each cake layer with a little kirsch liquor, for some more flavor and to keep it moist. I didn't bother using cream stiffener in the cream, as I didn't find it made a huge difference and was an extra expense. Other than that, it is basically the same, just a smaller version, but I'll go over the process anyway.
Shortbread base spread with cherry jam.
Cake layer moistened with kirsch, then spread with sour cherry filling.
Cake layer moistened with kirsch, then spread with spiked, sweetened whipped cream.
Cake layer moistened with kirsch, then spread with more cream.
Whipped cream stars piped on top and around the cake.
Cherries and grated chocolate to decorate. 

No comments: