Monday, October 07, 2013

Black Forest Trifle

No, I really never stop talking about Black Forest cakes. After the two miniature versions I made on the weekend, I had some leftovers. So I decided to make a small trifle to use them up. This also gave me the opportunity to have a taste of my creations, even though I couldn't cut into the real cakes.  Because I made one large rectangular cake and cut out six rounds from that, I had some cake scraps. Since the cakes were fairly small, I had some leftover cherry filling - both sweet and sour. I just used the entire carton of whipping cream, so I also had some leftover whipped cream, both spiked and simple sweetened. And I had some leftover chocolaty  already grated, as well. So this is how I assembled the trifle:
The extra cake cut into cubes and placed in a medium-sized glass bowl.
Drizzled with the cherry juice to moisten. (Kirsch may also be used for an extra boost of liquor, but I wanted to use up the rest of the cherry juice).
Both cherry fillings dolloped over.
Whipped cream spread on top with a few rosettes. I spread the spiked cream on half of the trifle, and kept the other half alcohol-free.
Grated chocolate sprinkled on top.
If you have some leftover whole cherries, the can be used to decorate as well. 

No comments: