Saturday, October 19, 2013

Hefezopf

This is hefezopf, which is the German term for a yeast braided sweet bread. It is also commonly known around here as egg bread, Easter egg bread, or challah, which are all braided sweet yeast breads with fairly rich doughs often made with eggs, butter, and milk. Easter egg bread is often made around Easter time, with pockets made within the braids to place colored Easter eggs. Challah is a Jewish bread typically eaten on holidays. To my understanding, hefezopf is simply a tasty German version of these types of breads, though there are probably some differences among each of the different bread recipes. 

I did not make this bread. I have made an Easter egg bread before years ago, before I even began this blog, but I'll admit it was not as tasty as this one is. This bread was made by my boyfriend's mother, who is from Germany and has certainly become an expert at making this bread. She was kind enough to send me home with a large piece, which I really appreciate. I may even share some of it with my family. She makes this bread fairly often, and it always turns out amazing. It is a soft, tasty bread that is sprinkled with slivered almonds, which always become nice and toasted after baking. My favorite way to eat this bread is spread with Nutella, but it is also good with butter and honey. It makes a satisfying snack, but is also nice for breakfast or as a lighter lunch. Since she is a loyal reader to my blog, I thought she deserved to be credited to a post featuring her yummy bread!
Danke!

No comments: