Monday, October 17, 2011

Potato Cake

Here is another trusty side dish. It is a potato cake composed of mainly thinly sliced potato, diced onion, and mozzarella cheese. How can you go wrong with that? I found this recipe in a cookbook I was flipping through somewhere, and it was such a simple and brief recipe that I remembered the general idea of it. The dish I made tonight is more or less the recipe I read, probably with a few slight modifications.
All you have to do is place some large, thinly sliced potatoes in an overlapping fashion in a 9-inch round cake pan or pie plate sprayed with cooking spray. Sprinkle with some diced onion, top with some mozzarella cheese (grated or sliced) and repeat layers 3-4 times. I just kept layering until all of my ingredients were used up. The amount of onion and cheese depends on your personal taste, use enough potato to make 3-4 full layers. This needs to be baked for awhile in order to become tender due to the numerous layers. I'm talking, like 450F for at least an hour, or par-boil the potatoes first. Cover with foil, but uncover the last 5 minutes of baking for a crisp cheese crust.

No comments: