Sunday, October 23, 2011

Witch Cake

Well, along with my Halloween Cupcakes, I've also got a Halloween Witch Cake to show you. I baked a simple white cake in a 9x13 inch pan, cut it into four basic shapes, and reassembled the shapes to resemble a witch's head. I didn't come up with this on my own - I found the idea online. Then I frosted the cake and piped on icing decorations. I made this for a cake walk for a fundraiser. 
I guess if I had made the witch's face green, she would look more like a witch and less like a clown, but I don't particularly like to eat green icing, so I left it a pasty white. I also did not use the traditional Halloween colors, black and orange, on either this cake or the cupcakes. This is because I only have a simple kit of liquid food coloring bearing just four colors: red, blue, yellow, and green. I don't really have use for a complex set containing a variety of different colors. From experience, I know that orange is a very difficult color to achieve, especially with large quantities of icing (you'd think they would include a vial of orange instead of green, as green is quite simple to make). Black is also nearly impossible, although I did manage to make grey once. I know you can buy paste food colorings in black and orange, but they contain a lot of dye. I usually don't even use colors as vivid as the witch's hair, in order to use as little food dye as possible. You can also buy tubes of premade orange and black icing, but they don't taste nearly as good as homemade. So that's my Halloween witch! And you never know, I may use the same idea and make a clown cake someday!

No comments: