Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Cream Cheese Frosting

Yesterday I told you about the Pumpkin Carrot Cake that turned out amazing! However, I was not at all a fan of the cream cheese frosting. I am not sure what went wrong; if something was done wrong, or if the recipe was just plain wrong. Because the recipe yielded enough to thickly fully frost, fill, and decorate two bundt cakes, and I only required a thin coat of frosting for one, I scaled down the large recipe by 1/4 for a reasonable size. Could this have made any difference in the final result? Also, time did not permit to allow the cream cheese and butter to fully come to room temperature beforehand, so the microwave was used as a little cheat. 
The proportions of cream cheese, butter, icing sugar, and vanilla seemed right, and real butter and vanilla were used. But in the end, the icing turned out way too thin. Even after doubling the amount of icing sugar, it was still too thin. This frosting should be thick and spreadable, and not drip from a spoon at all when held up. Yet it was thin and runny, which made for poor presentation on the cake as well. Upon tasting, the addition of extra icing sugar certainly did not make the frosting too sweet, as it tasted too sour with a strong taste of cream cheese. Yes, cream cheese frosting should taste like cream cheese, but it should have a smooth, delicate, and sweet taste,which I did not find.
After looking up other cream cheese frosting recipes, I discovered that this recipe is very typical. Actually, most recipes used the same amount I made, so cutting the recipe down did not cause poor results. Maybe it was the combination of the too-small bowl, the overheated butter and cream cheese, the still warm cake, and the spoon in place of the electric mixer. Usually, I don't try to make things in a rush, I allow plenty of time for proper results. With this cake however, I did not have much time, and I had to have it ready by a certain time, so the results were not as good. Lesson learner: don't rush, slow and steady wins the race, and yields the best results.  

No comments: