Thursday, October 20, 2011

Fondant versus Buttercream

Making a cake? How do you plan to frost and decorate it? I myself prefer the traditional buttercream, but the new craze now a day is fondant. There are so many different ways to decorate cakes; so many different techniques and ingredients. I like buttercream because I love the sweet, fluffy taste of it and its versatility. I prefer piping rather than rolling, and enjoy piping the fun borders and making buttercream roses. I see buttercream as less artificial than fondant, and I prefer the look of the finished product. But this is only my opinion, and everyone is entitled to their opinion. Fondant is also very versatile, and can be rolled, shaped, and molded to form just about anything! I am not against fondant, I just prefer to use buttercream. Fondant is all the rage now though, especially with the airing of the hit television show, Cake Boss.

Traditional Types of Frostings
·         Buttercream
·         Meringue
·         Whipped
·         Seven Minute
·         Royal Icing
·         Pudding
·         Cream Cheese
·         Glaze
·         Poured
·         Ganache
·         Piping Gel

Modern Types of “Frostings”
·         Fondant
·         Gum Paste
·         Modeling Chocolate
·         Candy Clay

Decorating Products
·         Sprinkles
·         Coloured Sugars
·         Non-pareils
·         Sugar sheets
·         Chocolate
·         Candies
·         Food colour spray
PHOTO CREDIT: "Whimsical Birthday Cake." http://thetwistedsifter.wordpress.com/2009/05/15/whimsical-fondant-40th-birthday-cake/. The Twisted Sifter, May 15, 2009. Thursday, October 20, 2011.

No comments: