Thursday, May 21, 2015

Exploring My New Surroundings

            Following a good fifteen hour night’s sleep (much needed) I proceeded to staff lunch. They sure do love their salt and potatoes here! Lunch was sliced turkey breast in gravy with mashed potatoes (as a colleague accurately described as loaded with buckets of cream and butter), and roasted potatoes. I suppose one of the potato dishes is considered the starch and the other is considered the vegetable? Then I decided to go exploring and get used to my surroundings before beginning work the next day. I came across the equestrian center, some nice paths through the forest, some more village houses, and the castle. Unfortunately, I could not get a tour of the castle today, as it was closed for a private wedding, but the friendly receptionist told me to come back another time when there were no weddings. Then I came across the cookery school (which refers to the garden center and not a food institution), where my roommates were working (I didn’t even know they would be there). Several of their colleagues were around, and they were all very friendly to me. They asked me about my journey here and whatnot. They insisted I stay and have afternoon tea and cake and cookies with them. I must say, they make a mean pot of tea here and often insist on this afternoon tea break.
            Afterwards, I stuck around the kitchen and talked to some of the chefs and cooks on their work here and whatnot, and they were friendly as well as entertaining. It was helpful and interesting to watch and see what I would be getting myself into the next day. For supper I was treated to dinner in the bar where I would be working at times, with my new roommate, another culinary intern that had only just arrived. I tried a raspberry mojito and went for the seafood platter, which consisted of smoked mackerel, prawns in Marie Rose, crab claws, battered squid, whitebait, smoked salmon, mini salad, and wholemeal bread, with a garlic and lime mayonnaise. The vegetables were a mix of large diced carrots, parsnip, and turnip with butter and herbs. My roommate had a rare eight ounce rib-eye steak with onion rings, sautéed mushrooms, and straw potatoes with peppercorn sauce and a side of garlic potatoes. For dessert we shared a warm pear and almond frangipane tarte with vanilla ice cream and chocolate sauce.

Looking forward to beginning work tomorrow and actually having some great, culinary news to share!
My seafood platter for dinner - delicious!!!

No comments: