Thursday, May 28, 2015

Breakfast and Prep

Today I was not scheduled to begin until 9:00a.m., but I decided to go in for 7:00a.m. and help out with the breakfast shift in the castle. I was very glad I did. The breakfast chef, is very friendly, and actually took the time to explain things to me and walk me through the basics, which had not been done with me yet in these kitchens and was extremely useful. Even knowing basic things like which garbage bin is for what. He put me straight to work – I began with making granola parfaits, moved on to baking portabello mushrooms caps, frying sausages, helping prepare the breakfast mise en place for the day, etc. As we were working, he would tell me times and temperatures for the items so I would know for next time. This chef is the type of person I actually felt at ease with in the kitchen – I was much less stressed and on edge. I felt I could ask him questions, maybe I asked a few too many, but this is unlike me and a good change. He seemed happy to answer them and I learned a lot. I mean, I was making scrambled eggs, which sounds very simple, but every place does it differently so I had to inquire if I was to use fat in the pan, add milk or cream, or season the eggs. This estate holds a gold medal award for the best breakfast, so I had to be consistent and professional. This breakfast shift is not chaotic and stressful, so I had time to make myself a full typical breakfast of the area, well my spin on it. I tried black pudding for the first time (actually quite tasty), as well as a vegetarian white pudding, my first local organic egg, and my first eggs benedict (though the hollandaise was not made fresh – it was from a carton. Better than powdered, and this one was truffle scented).
Breakfast - Eggs Benedict with local bacon, portabello mushroom cap, cherry tomato, potato bread, black pudding, vegetarian white pudding.
Once breakfast was underway, I also helped with afternoon tea preparations, as the breakfast chef is also the afternoon tea chef. I began with chocolate-dipped éclairs – yummy. Chef was prepping scones, finger sandwiches, and cream cones. Soon it became time for me to start the preparation for the weddings again. 
I began with every chef’s favorite job, one of the most monotonous and tedious tasks ever, of picking herbs. First several bunches of basil, then parsley, then I also had to mince the parsley. We also made two big batches chocolate orange mousse with brandy and rum, mixed berry compote, roasted red pepper and tomato soup, goat cheese terrine, pesto, raspberry jellies, and more prep. By 2:30, we were winding down. By 3:00, we were cleaning up. By 3:30 we were scrubbing things that didn’t really need to be scrubbed. By 3:45, they said I could go home. So it was a short prep day, and I am really glad I went in for breakfast.

No comments: