Monday, May 25, 2015

First Day Off

After working three long consecutive days, I have a day off today. Honestly, I would have gladly worked again, but I suppose three days was fine to start, while I am still getting adjusted to the time difference and new environment, plus I am not used to working long hours like that. I think my body needed a rest, as I slept in late this morning, then decided to spend some time in the afternoon taking a leisurely stroll to explore the small village. I was hoping to get to the village chocolate shop, but unfortunately, it is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays. 
When I got home last night, my housemate was saying how it was absolutely insane for me to start on a Sunday – as Sundays are crazy and busy here, and I was working in the bar, which is busier, and it was my first time working there and I didn’t know anything! Oh well, I told her, it can only get better from here then, right?
The other day one of the chefs I was working with was telling me about the time he worked in my home country. He was commenting how it kind of sucked, because certification equivalences were an issue at first in finding a job, a common issue nation to nation. He was not a fan of the hot boxes we use, as they are too large and you need to take the plates out individually every time you need to add a component. He also had to learn to work with product differences – such as milk and produce. I can’t say I disagree with him on any of this either.
So I didn’t have too much to do with food today, other than going in for a staff lunch of quiche Lorraine and rice with curry sauce, and supper of salad, puff pastry tarts, and fries. 
My favorite sighting on my walk through the village - a coffee shop selling hot beverages, sandwiches, pizza, desserts, and most importantly, ice cream.

No comments: