Sunday, May 31, 2015

Slow Wedding Service

Today I worked at another wedding. I arrived at 10:30, and baked madeleines and prepared the canapés as yesterday. Then I was told to help the breakfast cook, who told me yes, it was busy and she needed help, but it would take too long to explain things to me. Even though I had popped in for a few breakfast shifts before, I still didn’t know enough to not be in the way. She sent me back to help the cook working on canapés. I finished up there, then was sent to the bar in the lodge to help them out, as I had predicted yesterday, we didn’t have much left to do to prepare for the wedding.
Back at the bar, they were in the midst of a busy Sunday service, so I was sent to help at the dessert station – filling orders and completing some prep. The chef also went over the latest health inspector report with me, so I would know what to be mindful of and how to take precautions. Keeping in mind I had only ever worked one shift in the bar, so I still did not totally know what I was doing. The cook who was on pastry seemed slightly annoyed at me and not very patient, and no one was taking the time to explain stuff to me. I understand they didn’t have the time to spare, but I can’t do things I don’t know how to do. I was at the bar for about two hours, then back to the castle to get something to eat, serve the canapés, and do some pastry prep.
The wedding cake. Along with the actual cake, there was a 'cheesecake', as in a cake of gourmet cheeses. Now I do love dessert cheesecake, but I love this idea too!
Staff lunch was a garden salad, spaghetti in white sauce, and a ground beef mixture. I was then taught how to make shortbread cookie dough and scone dough to freeze and have ready to bake to help out the afternoon tea chef. Around 5:30, I headed over to the marquee to prepare for the wedding meal service. It all went smoothly, however, speeches were to be held before dinner again (I really hate this – they nearly always run longer than the scheduled thirty minutes, and then dinner is late, food is overcooked, and guests are starving). The bride and groom were also late arriving because they stopped to visit the equestrian center. I was listening to a debate between two of the cooks – one argued that small weddings such as this one were easier, as there is less to prep and less to serve. The other argued that small weddings are more hectic because it really doesn’t take much to prep a few more plates, but because there are less people to serve, service goes faster and you have to move and plate more quickly. That was not the case tonight, as I think they were shorter on service staff so service went painfully slow. Nevertheless, we still finished up around 9:00p.m.

Tonight’s menu was:
Canapés: Cherry Tomato Filled with Crab, Smoked Salmon & Crème Fraîche on Blinis, Tempura of Prawn with Sweet Chilli Sauce, Mini Vegetable Spring Rolls, Filo Tartlets with Smoked Chicken, Black Olives & Pesto, Spiced Chicken Kebabs.
Starter: Organic Goat’s Cheese Parfait with Ratatouille Chutney & Basil Pesto, Balsamic and Sherry Reduction.
Bread: Wheat bread, raisin rolls, sesame seeded rolls, white rolls, caraway rolls, red pepper rolls. 
Soup:  Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato with basil pesto
Sorbet: Mango and Passionfruit
Main Course Option #1 - Meat: Seared Fillet of Irish Beef served medium, braised shallot, carrot coriander purée, fondant potato, ratatouille, brandy and Madagascar green peppercorn sauce.
Main Course Option #2 - Fish: Pan-fried Fillet of Sea Bass, Mediterranean vegetables, red pepper coulis and pesto.
Side Dishes: Roast Baby Potatoes, and Roast carrots, onions, parsnip, and turnip.
Dessert: Eton Mess: Warm Apple and Berry Crumble with vanilla ice cream
Petits Fours Assortment: madeleines, cranberry white fudge, fruit jellies, flaked white chocolate truffles, Belgian dark chocolate truffles. 

No comments: