Monday, September 02, 2013

Nonna's Shortbread Cookies

I was quite pleased one day, when I was staying at my grandmother's house and found my great-grandmother's recipe for shortbread cookies. I was looking through my grandmother's stashes of recipes, as we were sharing, comparing, and discussing. I came across this one, and immediately copied it out for myself. I could remember my great-grandmother's shortbread cookies, and they were always the best. They were rich and buttery, never dry and crumbly, not too sweet with  a nice flavor. And they were always cut out in pretty little shapes, such as flowers and hearts, and adorned with just a light sprinkle of colored sprinkles. I couldn't wait to make them myself! 
The first time I made them was like a step back in time, they were exactly like my grandmother's - perfect. I enjoyed inhaling them warm from the oven. I used this prized recipe (which I'm sorry, but I cannot share) in the exhibition baking competition, as it is certainly award-winning. I entered it in the heritage plain shortbread category. So I could not use sprinkles on these cookies, but I did use the same shape my grandmother often used. This recipe has been passed from my great-grandmother, to my grandmother, to my mother and me. I am sure it will be passed on again and again, as it is certainly the best! And it is quite easy as well! Whipping up a batch and baking takes no more than 30 minutes in total. 

No comments: