Tuesday, September 03, 2013

Liver & Onions

Liver tends to get a bad rap. It always seemed like a threat at our house, "What's for supper?" 'Liver and onions if you don't behave!' Nevertheless, liver isn't exactly a gourmet, expensive meal. It is actually incredibly cheap. You can still find liver and onions on the menu at restaurants, though it isn't usually a highly popular choice. I'll be honest, I am not a beef fan, or even much of a meat fan at all. However, I have been wanting to try liver for quite some time now. This is the first time I have tried it. My grandmother cooked a batch of fresh beef liver up for me with some onions. Apparently calf liver is the most tender, but there was none at the store at the time. However, this piece of liver she cooked was incredibly tender. It just melted in your mouth, and you could cut it with a fork. Liver is really the only form of beef I enjoy eating. I mean, steak and roast beef are two of my least favorite foods, yet I enjoyed the liver. Which is a good thing, because liver is incredibly nutritious. Liver is very high in protein, iron, and zinc, while relatively low in fat and calories. It is also very affordable and easy to prepare. We bought 4-5 portions for under $2. Here's how my grandmother made it:

Heat some oil in a large frying pan. Saute onions, in large rings or slices, over high heat for about a half hour or so. You don't want them to brown or caramelize, just release their flavor and soften. Transfer to a dish and keep warm. Place the beef liver, cut into small slices, in the frying pan and cook for about 10 minutes. Add the onions back in and cook for at least five minutes more, until cooked. Do not overcook, you want the liver to be tender. 

No comments: