Wednesday, May 01, 2013

Candy Clay Tassels, Hat & Diploma

Today I began preparing food for the upcoming party. It is quite early to prepare many things, so today I just made the garnishes for one of the desserts. Well, actually my father did the majority of the work, as it turns out he is really good at working with candy clay, and has a lot of patience! So thank you dad! We simply made blue tassels, so I guess it is no surprise that they are for little edible graduation caps. However, I won't give any more than that away yet. I used a batch of candy clay I had made to make these (see June 3rd, 2012: Candy Clay). Candy clay is like edible clay, it is very easy and forgiving to work with, and comes in or can be dyed a variety of different colors. It has so many different uses and stores well, either in the fridge or at room temperature (or shellacked to keep). It is also completely edible, though it doesn't taste all that great, kind of like fondant; it looks pretty but doesn't taste as good. 
I bought white candy melts and dyed most of the mixture blue. That way, I can achieve the exact shade of blue I want, to match the trim of the cake as well. Also I needed a little bit of white candy clay too. I also made a little diploma for a decoration for the cake. I made a larger graduation cap entirely from candy clay  but it is not pictured here as it is hardening. 

No comments: