Friday, May 31, 2013

New Recipes?

Lately I have been presented with a slight challenge. A baking challenge of course. I have to make something unique, different, something I have never made before; and something a bit challenging. In addition, this item needs to be healthy, and needs to be able to be prepared within a short period of time, probably about an hour or so. Along with all this, it needs to follow the criteria of being colorful, beautifully presented, nutritious, and of course, tasty. I also need to make it on a budget, with a limited number of resources in a quick-paced atmosphere. The good news? I only need to present one serving for submission, and the item can be in any category: dessert, meal, snack, etc.

The problem here, is I am having a difficult time pinpointing an item that I have never made before and would be unique and new to me, but yet it cannot be something that takes loads of time, costs a lot, or requires fancy equipment. This rules out caviar and haggis. It also needs to be healthy, which rules out a three-tiered fondant cake, or a crystallized sugar structure. The issue is, being the avid baker that I am, I have already made so many different things: muffins, cakes, cookies, casseroles, quiches, pies, pastas, squares, fudge, cereal, etc. The thing is, most extravagant items I can think of that are not out of the question based on the supplies and ingredients I can access are not particularly nutritious. This is because most healthy foods are simple; fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, whole grains, eggs, dairy, etc. Hmmm, I sure seem to spend more time searching for recipes than I do making them sometimes. I warmly welcome any suggestions or ideas!

No comments: